Awesome Crockpot Chicken Cordon Bleu

by Shannan on October 1, 2008

Due to the many requests for the recipe tonight when I mentioned our dinner on Twitter, I’m sharing my recipe for Crockpot Chicken Cordon Bleu. I originally got the idea from FamilyCrockpotRecipes, but made my own modifications. Heaven forbid I do anything by the book!

Here’s what I did:

3 boneless chicken breasts, pounded flat

3 slices swiss cheese

3 slices provolone cheese

6 thin slices ham (practically shaved)

2 Tbs butter

2 cans cream of mushroom soup

1 soup can milk

salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder to taste

Lay out the flattened chicken breasts and take one slice of swiss cheese, folded in half and lay over the largest end of the chicken breast. Pile on two slices of ham, then follow with the provolone cheese, also folded in half. Roll the chicken breasts up, then secure with toothpicks. (I was out of toothpicks, but uncooked spaghetti noodles work just as well)

Melt the butter in a frying pan on medium-high heat and brown the outside of the chicken. Place it in the crockpot, then pour the two cans of soup and the can of milk over top. Add your salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder, then throw on the lid. I let it cook for two hours on high, then dropped it to low for 3 hours, even though the original recipe called for 5 hours on low. I have a serious fear of undercooked chicken.

I served it over white rice, using the rest of the sauce as a gravy. Some of the cheese oozed out into the sauce and gave it an amazing flavor!

It was a huge hit, especially with hubby. He tends to complain about being sick of the same stuff, then gripes about not liking anything new, so this was a pretty big deal to satisfy him. This one will definitely be making our regular dinner rotation from now on!

Image courtesy _e.t ar Flickr[ad#posts]

{ 8 comments }

1 Heather @ Not a DIY Life October 1, 2008 at 11:04 am

Thanks so much for sharing! I know my hubby will love this!

I don’t ever cook by the book either. I love to change things up and experiment!

Heather @ Not a DIY Lifes last blog post..Lend Me Your Thoughts….

2 WordVixen October 1, 2008 at 2:46 pm

Wow- that does sound good! Question? The thin slices of ham? Lunch meat or real ham? I only ask because it would definitely affect my weekly meal planning. :)

WordVixens last blog post..I Are Having Issues

3 Shannan October 1, 2008 at 3:32 pm

I used lunchmeat. I’m sure real ham would work, as well. I did like the texture from the thin sliced deli ham though.

4 Jeni October 1, 2008 at 3:35 pm

This sounds great! I’m glad you shared this – I’m definitely going to try it!

Jenis last blog post..Question

5 WordVixen October 1, 2008 at 3:37 pm

Thanks Shannan! I so want to try this for Sunday dinner. :) Sounds like there should be enough for leftovers since there’s only two of us. (Reduce the recipe? Perish the thought!)

WordVixens last blog post..I Are Having Issues

6 Dana October 1, 2008 at 3:59 pm

Mmmmm…Sounds yummy. I love chicken cordon bleu. I make it without a sauce when I make it and bread the chicken but this sounds yummy. I love the idea of using pasta noodles to fasten the chicken!

Danas last blog post..Garlic Bread You Need To Eat With A Knife And Fork

7 Crockpot Recipe February 8, 2009 at 4:15 am

Hey! Wow what a fantastic article about Crockpot Recipe! Your keen insight into Crockpot Recipe is informative and creative. I look forward to reading other articles you have. The Best way to contact me is by email. I check it everyday. Thanks.

8 heiliaaliva February 17, 2009 at 8:54 am

http://www.fromcribstocarkeys.com – cool sitename man)))
————————
my blog: http://potet.ru/

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: