Mamavation Monday – Joining The Club

by Shannan on April 26, 2010

As you can see by recent posts about my frustration with my life, there’s lots of things that I want to work on. One of the most important is my weight. Having K and D almost back to back took a toll on my body that I could never have imagined and the lifestyle of being a WAHM with two babies just made things worse.

I’ve become a victim of my own circumstances, combined with an out and out lack of motivation. It’s time to get my act together, though. It’s time to take back control of my body, as well as the other factors in my life that I’m working on. I’ve decided that joining the ladies of Mamavation will help me to stay motivated and on track. I’ve seen the amazing support that they give each other, and think that it will be crucial for me as I start on this long journey.

My weight scares me a bit now, especially with Mother’s Day approaching. Sounds strange, I know. For those who don’t know me well, I lost my own mom 2 years ago in July. Heart disease stole her from me at just 58 years old. One of her biggest contributing factors was her weight. She yo-yo’d back and forth for years, never getting to an ideal and healthy weight again after having my brother and I. I don’t want to put my kids through the pain of losing me before my time. Plain and simple.

I’m trying to go into this with realistic expectations and to not do too much to start. My first steps are going to be meal planning the week, so that I don’t have to turn to fast food options for lack of something to make for dinner, plus cutting out soda in exchange for water. I also need to get moving, so am committing to a half hour of exercise every other day, to start.

I’m not the most comfortable sharing my weight with the world, but will say that I’m in a size 16 right now, shooting to get back into a size 8 eventually. I have a specific goal weight in mind, but for me it’s not going to be about the numbers. It’s going to be about feeling good and in control again.

Wish me luck, everyone and I hope that you’ll follow along with me as I start down the road to being a healthier mom!

{ 11 comments }

1 Cathy April 26, 2010 at 12:15 pm

I am right there with you, Shannan. Working on my weight loss and it is definitely hard to make ourselves a priority, but good for you for doing it. You deserve it, you are worth it and your kids NEED their mommy to be healthy! :) I can’t wait to watch your progress! 😉
.-= Cathy´s last blog ..Popcorn with Pizazz =-.

2 Lisa @ljenator April 26, 2010 at 12:42 pm

Welcome to MAMAVATION! You’re gonna love it! You’re starting off right!

My husband thinks that joining up with Mamavation has done wonders for me, and the rest of my family!

You can do it, and we’ll be here to support you!

Have a fantabulous day!

Lisa
@ljenator
.-= Lisa @ljenator´s last blog ..Mamavation Monday =-.

3 TLEstrogen April 26, 2010 at 8:11 pm

Welcome to Mamavation! Can’t wait to get to know you better. You have the right idea too–the numbers will come but the healthy lifestyle is the most important.
.-= TLEstrogen´s last blog ..Mamavation Monday: April 26, 2010 =-.

4 Laurie April 26, 2010 at 8:19 pm

I am so sorry to hear about your mom, but I totally understand your motivation. Meal planning has been a lifesaver and truly makes it really easy to follow my plan. Good luck! *hugs*
.-= Laurie´s last blog ..Mamavation Monday =-.

5 Lori @ My Kinda Rain April 26, 2010 at 9:22 pm

Welcome to mamavation! Just tweet when you need us! We are here to support you and help you on your healthy living journey!
.-= Lori @ My Kinda Rain´s last blog ..Mamamvation Monday~ April 26th =-.

6 colleen April 26, 2010 at 11:02 pm

WElcome! Lots of luck getting to your goal!
.-= colleen´s last blog ..#Mamavation Monday =-.

7 Stacey / The Mom Renewal Project April 27, 2010 at 12:07 am

Welcome to Mamavation! Remember to eat slowly this week. I look forward to seeing your tweets and getting more motivated together.
.-= Stacey / The Mom Renewal Project´s last blog ..Mamavation Monday – The Best Motivator for Weight Loss =-.

8 CJ P April 27, 2010 at 1:20 pm

I posted my first Mamavation Monday post this week also. Good luck! It seems like such a great group full of wonderful women.

9 kia April 27, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Hi there and welcome to mamavation. I want to wish you luck and consistency. I am sorry you are feeling the loss of your mother like this with Mother’s Day looming and your own feelings towards your health. Work towards the small, steady baby steps you laid out… meal plan, water, move. Be gentle because it is a process. I look forward to seeing how you did in your post next week.
.-= kia´s last blog ..mamavation monday 26 april 2010 =-.

10 Leah @Bookieboo April 28, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Since you have some major heart problems in the family, you are at risk for all sorts of things. What I want you to do is measure your waistline. Anything over 35 inches is at high risk for heart disease, diabetes, shorter lifespan, etc. Instead of focusing on your weight, I’d focus on your measurements. They are a more accurate measure of how healthy you are.

And just remember we are all here for you. XXOO
.-= Leah @Bookieboo´s last blog ..Are You Up for the Challenge?: Dr. Oz & Chiquita Bananas Healthy Family Challenge =-.

11 Jessica @fringies April 29, 2010 at 9:45 am

Welcome to Mamavation! You’ve set wonderful, achievable goals for yourself. Hopefully we can help you with the motivational side! The others are right: be gentle with yourself & congratulate yourself for taking that first step! :)
.-= Jessica @fringies´s last blog ..Happy Anniversary SoCal! =-.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: