Do You Know The Dangers of Button Batteries?

by Shannan on September 14, 2011

Some of you might remember a little over a year ago, when we had a frightening hospital stay with then 3-yr-old D. Unbeknownst to us, he had gotten ahold of a button battery and swallowed it. What presented as a severe “tummy ache” was actually a battery that had lodged itself in his esophagus and was slowly burning him inside. We had no idea. Button batteries were not even on our radar as a danger.

In our case, even though we spent several days in the hospital, we were lucky. After surgery to remove the battery, then a repeat procedure a month later to check healing, D is back to normal. In all honest, it is nothing short of a miracle that he walked away with as little damage as he did. From the time he began complaining until the time that he had surgery was approximately 18 hours, far longer than the 2 hour window before these batteries can begin to do damage.

Today on Twitter, a tweet from a friend caught my eye and I simply had to click through. I discovered that Energizer and Safe Kids USA have partnered to create The Battery Controlled, which is helping to raise awareness about the dangers of button batteries to small children.

This informative site shares some of the alarming statistics about button battery injuries in children. Please take a few minutes to visit, read about preventing accidents similar to ours and learn how to react if your child accidentally swallows a coin battery.

While you’re there, join me in pledging to safeguard your children the best that you can. Though our tale had a happy ending, not every child who has accidentally swallowed a battery has been as fortunate.

I was not compensated in any way by Energizer, Safe Kids USA or The Battery Controlled for this post, it is simply a message that I felt the need to share.

{ 1 comment }

1 Nikki September 14, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Oh honey I remember that day all too well! Our local news was covering a story tonight and also talking about the Energizer campaign and I immediately thought of you! So glad you posted this to remind everyone of the dangers. Since that day, button batteries are on my radar! <3 YOU!
Nikki´s last blog post ..Book Review and Giveaway: Pretty by Jillian Lauren

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post: